Measure Strain on Printed Circuit Boards (PCBs)
The demand for reliable, durable and compact electronic devices is all around us. Consumer electronics, industrial, automotive, aerospace and medical device manufactures want it, “lighter, more compact, more durable, more powerful” and, oh by the way, all at a lower price. This demands that the product is designed, tested and manufactured to exacting standards to meet the expectations of an ever more demanding marketplace. These requirements have been further complicated by the elimination of leaded solder to be RoHS compliant. Lead-free solder is much more brittle and is susceptible to brittle fracture when exposed to excessive strain and / or high strain rate. Micro-Measurements plays a key role in bringing these new products to fruition. Micro-Measurements’ innovative experimental stress analysis products are used throughout these industries as part of their reliability testing program.
Our strain gages are used when testing components, sub-assemblies, printed circuit boards finished products. These tests include:
- Fixture qualification
- Four point bend test
- Assembly loads
- Shock / Drop testing
- Shipping container qualification
Micro-Measurements, a world leader in strain measurement technology, is also a leader in the development of strain measurement products specifically tailored to support the electronics industry. Micro-Measurements has been collaborating with PCB manufacturers to help develop industry standards including:
IPC / JEDEC specifications
IPC — JEDEC 9702 Monotonic Bend Characteristics of Board-Level Interconnects
IPC — JEDEC 9704 Printed Wiring Board Strain Gage Test Guideline
IPC — JEDEC JESD22-B111 Board Level Drop Test Method of Components for Handheld Electronic Products
Micro-Measurements provides the total solution by offering:
- Miniature planner rosette C5K strain gage sensor for use near components such as BGA mounted components.
- Miniature planar rosettes sensors for surface and intra-laminar testing of PCBs
- Pre-leaded sensors to eliminate the need for lead attachment.
- Custom strain gage sensors for interface to customer specified PCB traces for integral installations.
- Room temperature curing adhesive systems. M-Bond 200. M-Bond AE-10
- Static / quasi-dynamic instrumentation for monotonic bend test Systems 8000 / 7100
- High speed instrumentation System 9000
- Protective coatings for a wide range of environmental conditions.
Adhesives and Application Kits
Our extensive collection of tutorial and informational videos on a variety of strain measurement topics.
Questions and answers on the go! Listen to Micro-Measurements experts explain the many facets of strain gage technology.